Tai Teg - Affordable Housing

We aim to provide good quality, affordable homes to meet the particular needs of applicants for affordable accommodation registered on the relevant Affordable Homes Register. For North Wales – this register is Tai Teg.

Tai Teg

Am I eligible to register with Tai Teg?

Below are the criteria that you will have to meet, to be considered to be on the Tai Teg Affordable Housing Register: -

  • Age: You must be over 18 years of age
  • Financial: Annual gross household income between £16,000 to £45,000
  • Income: Only tax credit will be considered. Benefits will not be considered as income
  • Employment: Applicants must be in employment (part-time or full-time but must have an income of £16,000 - £45,000 gross per year) or if purchasing with savings and can’t buy on the open market without help. (You will have to prove that you have income towards running the property)
  • Affordable: You can’t afford to rent on the open market and / or but a property that suits your need
  • Accommodation: To be either a first time buyer or if your current home is unsuitable and does not meet your family's needs e.g.
    • In need due to relationship breakdown
    • Specific needs
    • Affordability
    • Due to family size
  • Local Connection: You will be required to have a local connection with the area you choose to live e.g. live, work or with family, close family connection
  • Exemption: Service Personnel. We do consider applications even if the `Service Personnel' income is 'zero' - but there is a need to have a local connection

Registration is FREE, but there is an assessment fee of £75.00* for some schemes. You will be advised of this during the process.


If you would like to register, you will need to create an account with Tai Teg. To Create an account, please click here.

There are 14 partners involved in the Tai Teg register, namely: -

  • Cartrefi Cymunedol Gwynedd
  • Cartrefi Conwy
  • Conwy Council
  • Denbighshire County Council
  • Flintshire County Council
  • Gwynedd Council
  • Powys County Council
  • Wrexham County Council
  • Isle of Anglesey County Council
  • Clwyd Alyn / Pennaf
  • Grŵp Cynefin
  • The Snowdonia National Park
  • North Wales Housing
  • Wales & West

To be eligible for an affordable unit the gross household income must be between £16,000 - £45,000

***Applicants will be considered in registration date order, therefore, register your interest with Tai Teg now ***

See our affordable homes

Intermediate Rent Scheme

  • An intermediate rental option is for people who are not in a position to buy a home for various reasons, such as, insufficient deposit or a poor credit history
  • The scheme is aimed at people in employment and not totally dependent on benefits
  • Rent is based on a Local Housing Allowance or 80% of the open market rents
  • Applications must meet the eligibility criteria and register with Tai Teg
  • A month’s rent and a month’s deposit will usually be required

Applicants will be considered in registration date order, therefore proceed to register your interest.


  • Homebuy is a scheme supported by the Welsh Government and available to help you buy a property on the open market
  • When your circumstances allow, you can pay your % loan back
  • You will be required to fund up to 70% of the property price, with a mortgage, or a combination of mortgage and savings
  • Minimum deposit of 5% (subject to the requirements of the mortgage lender)
  • Partner landlord will lend the remaining 30% for you. In certain circumstances, the loan can be increased to 50%
  • The loan will be secured against the property, rent or interest will not be payable on the loan
  • For further information please click here

Shared Equity

  • Shared equity is usually offered on properties purchased directly from a developer, housing association / local authority or second-hand properties purchased in the past
  • The candidate will be required to comply with the eligibility criteria of the Section 106. (Legal Document with a s106 Condition from the Council). E.g. local connection
  • The equity loan can vary and you would be required to fund the remaining % with a mortgage or a combination of mortgage and savings
  • The equity loan will be secured against your property, no rent or interest is payable on the loan.
  • Will require a minimum deposit of 5%. (Subject to the requirements of the mortgage lender)
  • In certain circumstances Tai Teg will not be able to repay the loan

Discounted S106 Properties

  • Scheme where a developer builds houses and sells them on at a discounted price that is lower than the open market
  • The % discount will be agreed durning the planning process
  • The candidate will be required to comply with the eligibility criteria set out in the Section 106. E.g. local connection
  • You will need a deposit of 20% (subject to the requirements of the mortgage lender)

Shared Ownership

  • You can buy a portion of the home and pay rent on the other share
  • You can but the initial share that will match between 25% and 75% of the value of the property you have chosen
  • You must get a repayment mortgage for the equity share % that you are buying
  • You can increase your share in the property at any time
  • You will be responsible for maintaining the property even if you pay o % of rent
  • For further information please click here

Rent to Own

  • You will be able to buy the home you rent and you can save a lump sum to contribute to a mortgage deposit while you rent the home
  • You will rent the home in the first place, and you can get 25% of the rent you paid over the tenancy period, and 50% of the increase in the value of the property (if there is an increase) during the period you rent the property – to be used as a deposit to contribute to the purchase of the property
  • Your agreement for the Rent to Ownership scheme Wales will last for five years. You can apply to buy your home at any time between the end of the second year and the end of the agreement
  • For further information please click here

Self-Build Plots S106

  • Plot of land made available by the Council or landowner to build affordable properties
  • If you are building the property you must reach the eligibility criteria, and will be responsible for all costs of designing and building the home
  • Where necessary, it is possible that the Council can provide a ‘bridging loan’ until a home has been build to an acceptable standard so it can be mortgaged. (Please contact the relevant Council for more information – please note that not all Council service provides a bridging loan)

** To be considered for any of the above schemes you will have to prove that are in need of an affordable home **

If you require any further information regarding any of the above, please contact Tai Teg on info@taiteg.org.uk or call 0845 6015605.

Or if you would like to print the above information, please click here

Back to top