adra data-verified=

Coming Soon

More information

Improvement work WHQS

Welsh Housing Quality Standard

When CCG was established in April 2010, we also started on our five year Welsh Housing Quality Standard (WHQS) improvement programme. Even though this programme is now coming to an end our improvement work does not stop and we will continue to invest in our tenants’ homes.

From April 2015 we will be spending over £8 million every year on improving our homes and maintaining the standard.

Improvements will only be done where needed. These improvements may include new –

  • Kitchen
  • bathroom
  • windows and doors
  • heating
  • rewiring
  • rendering
  • roofs
  • paving
  • fencing

So that we can see which homes need what improvements we have a team of surveyors who are visiting homes across Gwynedd.

Before we carry out any work in your home we will contact you with more information.

If you didn’t receive work under our WHQS programme either because the timing wasn’t right, or that you refused the work and would now like it to be done, please contact us on 0300 123 8084.

Contact Us

If you have any questions regarding improvement work please click here. If you need more information please contact us.

Please call: 0300 123 8084 or e-mail:

What is WHQS?

Welsh Housing Quality Standard, or WHQS as it’s called is a national standard of quality for homes set by the Welsh Government. It means that all households in Wales should have the opportunity to live in good quality homes which meet the requirements of that household.

What is a TLO?

A Tenant Liaison Officer or a TLO as they are called are members of CCG or contractor staff. They are there to help you through every stage of the improvements. They can answer your questions, deal with queries as well as give you advice on how to prepare for the work. Your TLO can also help you with any problems before, during and after the work.

How do I know who my TLO is?

Before any work begins on your home, your TLO will visit you to ensure you are fully aware of what work will be done. Throughout the work your TLO will visit you regularly to ensure that the work runs smoothly.

I'm not sure in which area my home is. How do I find out?

You'll find a map of each area of Gwynedd in our WHQS section on the webite, if you are still unsure which area your home is in, call Cartrefi Cymunedol Gwynedd on 0300 123 8084 and our staff can help you.

The timetable states in which year work will be done, but when will I know exactly when work will begin?

You'll receive a letter at least 21 days before any work will begin. CCG and the contractors will be in constant communication with you to ensure you have enough time to prepare for the works. Our Tenant Liaison Officer can also help you with any queries you may have.

What if I have special requirements?

If you are disabled or have any special requirements please let us or your TLO know as soon as possible after receiving your first letter notifying you of the work. We will then pass your details on to our Occupational Therapist who will visit you.

What if it's not convenient for the work to be done?

If the date of the proposed works is not convenient for you, contact us on 0300 123 8084 as soon as possible so that we can arrange a more convenient date.

How have CCG decided on when the work will be done?

The timetable has been arranged following detailed surveys. The areas with the highest percentages of works needed will be done first.

Is every CCG house included in the WHQS programme?

Only houses that fall below Welsh Housing Quality Standards will receive work. The aim of the programme is to bring all CCG homes up to WHQS. If some of your home already comes up to WHQS then those areas will not be receiving work as part of the programme, e.g. if you've recently received a new kitchen, you will not be getting a new kitchen as part of the works.

How do I know if my house already meets WHQS?

The results of the survey carried out by Savills will indicate if your house meets WHQS. CCG will contact you to tell you if your house doesn't come up to WHQS.

Will I have to move from my home while work is done?

No, you will not need to leave your home. There may be some noise disturbance while work is conducted, but our workers will do their best to minimise the disruption.

Will I be able to choose which kitchen I want?

Yes. You will be able to choose between 3 different types of cupboard, 3 work top, 3 types of tiles and 3 floor coverings. You will get a chance to see samples of everything before you need to make a decision.

Will I be able to choose which bathroom I want?

Yes. You can choose between 3 different claddings for the wall, 3 different floor coverings but every bathroom suite will be white. You will get a chance to see samples of everything before you need to make a decision.

What kind of boiler/heating system will I get?

Where possible we will connect you to the main gas supply. When mains are not an option we will contact you to offer alternative methods including oil, gas bottles etc. You will have plenty opportunity to discuss the options with us.

What if I don't want any work done on my home?

You are entitled to refuse to allow any work to be done on your home. But some work will have to done to comply with health and safety regulations e.g. rewiring.

What if I have any questions during the work?

If you have any questions, queries or concerns before, during and after the work you can contact your TLO or call CCG on 0300 123 8084, option 2 and we will be happy to help.

Will I be entitled to disturbance allowance while work is done on my home?

Unfortunately, we will not be able to give you a disturbance allowance but you will receive decorating vouchers to help you redecorate your home if you've had your home re-wired.

As part of the improvement work, CCG is installing EnviroVent units to improve ventilation and reduce condensation in homes.

For more details download the document below:



health and safety

What is CDM?

The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007, are often referred to as CDM. They are important regulations in the construction industry in the UK introduced by the Health and Safety Executive's Construction Division. The regulations aim to improve safety in the construction industry, which employs over two million people in the UK.

On large projects, a person is appointed as the CDM coordinator, with overall responsibility for compliance with CDM to ensure that all parties involved in a project co-operate and co-ordinate with others.

Site health and safety

Cartrefi Cymunedol Gwynedd ensures that all works carried out on, and in, tenants properties are done so safely without risk to tenants, contractors and members of the public. We do this by using competent contractors and by assessing the contractors’ performance on health and safety.

Site health and safety

What are the CDM 2007 Regulations?

The Construction Design and Management Regulations 2007 (CDM 2007) are important regulations in the construction industry within the UK that were introduced by the Health and Safety Executive's (HSE) Construction Division.

The main aim of the CDM 2007 regulations is to reduce the risk to health and safety of all those involved in a construction project, in all aspects of its construction phases, and its future maintenance.


CCG has its own CDM co-ordinator who is a registered Construction Design and Management Co-ordinator Member of the Association of Project Safety. The CDM co-ordinator (CDMC) is the construction company or the client’s advisor on the management of construction health and safety risk matters. The co-ordinator’s main role is to help clients carry out their duties; to co-ordinate health and safety aspects of the design work and to prepare the Health and Safety File. They also assist the client with assessing the ability of those involved.


All contractors working for CCG will be assessed to ensure that they are fully capable to undertake the work and meet the CDM 2007 Regulations. Contractors will also be expected to have been assessed under Safety Schemes in Procurement, (SSIP), such as The Contractors Health & Safety Assessment Scheme or equivalent.

CCG and site health and safety

CCG will carry out site inspections without warning at each site where contractors are working to ensure that they are working safely. The contractors will also be assessed on a monthly basis using industry standard Key Performance Indicators.

CCG is preparing a health and safety booklet for all contractors and staff working on its properties to ensure that everyone is aware of others who are working on the site.

Useful web links

Safety Schemes in Procurement

Health & Safety Executive

Association of Project Safety

Cartrefi Cymunedol Gwynedd is not responsible for the contents of other websites



What is asbestos?
Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral made up of small fibres. From the 1950s to mid 1980s, it was widely used in the construction of homes. Although asbestos is no longer used in building materials, it may be present in many kinds of older building materials found in your home. Left undisturbed, low levels of asbestos in your home are harmless.

Why is asbestos dangerous?
Asbestos fibres are present in the environment in Great Britain so people are exposed to very low levels of fibres on a daily basis. However, a key factor in the risk of developing an asbestos-related disease is the total number of fibres breathed in. Working on, or near damaged asbestos-containing materials or breathing in high levels of asbestos fibres, which may be many hundreds of times that of environmental levels could increase your chances of getting an asbestos-related disease.

Where in your home is asbestos normally found?
Asbestos is present in many different materials and common uses in the home including decorative textured coating to ceilings and walls, plastic and vinyl floor tiles, toilet cisterns and seats, some sink pads, asbestos cement water tanks, corrugated cement garage/shed roofs, and asbestos insulation board. It may also be present in older boilers and storage heaters, but as the material is sealed within the units there is very little danger of you being exposed to any asbestos fibres.

Where in your home is asbestos normally found?

Identifying asbestos
It is not usually possible to identify asbestos by sight without very specialist training and only a laboratory test can positively identify whether a material contains asbestos.

Materials that contain asbestos can look very similar to those that do not, so if you are in doubt please contact CCG on 0300 123 8084 for advice.

Please do not attempt to remove any materials containing which you think may contain any asbestos from your home.


Why would I have asbestos in my home?
Asbestos became increasingly popular among manufacturers and builders in the late 19th century because of its sound absorption, average tensile strength, and its resistance to heat, electrical and chemical damage. The European Union has now banned all use of asbestos and extraction, manufacture and processing of asbestos products.

What happens if asbestos needs to be removed from my home?
It is very hard to identify asbestos, but if you suspect that you are living with asbestos, don't panic unless asbestos is damaged or disturbed, it is safe to leave it in place. Never sand, drill or saw asbestos materials.

If you think you have asbestos in your home what should I do?
It is very hard to identify asbestos, but if you suspect that you are living with asbestos, don't panic unless asbestos is damaged or disturbed, it is safe to leave it in place. Never sand, drill or saw asbestos materials.

Contact CCG on 0300 123 8084, before thinking of doing any work near or with asbestos containing materials.

Useful web links

Health and Safety Executive

The Asbestos Information Centre

Back to top