How to pay?

There are several ways you can pay your rent and other charges (such as home contents insurance). These include:

  • Direct Debit
  • Post Office/Pay point
  • Telephone
  • Recurring Card Payment
  • Internet
  • Text message
  • Standing Order

Download the Paying your Rent leaflet here:

Paying your Rent

Direct Debit Payments

The easiest way to pay your rent is by Direct Debit. Once it is set up, you do not need to do anything. CCG will arrange for the Direct Debit amount to be changed if there are any changes in the rent you pay. You will be informed of any changes before they are made.

How does it work?

  • Once you have set up a Direct Debit, your rent will be paid automatically on a pre-agreed date each month
  • You don’t lose any control – the only money taken from your account will be the agreed amount for your rent, helping you with your budgeting each month
  • You can cancel the Direct Debit at any time

To set up Direct Debit, call us on 0300 123 8084, or call into one of our area offices. All you need is your bank account details (sort code and account number) – we’ll do the rest.

At the Post Office or Paypoint Outlet

Your swipe card can be used to pay your rent at all post offices and a wide range of local retail outlets, or wherever you see the Paypoint symbol.

All Paypoint outlets have long opening hours and the 24/7 telephone service and internet payment options also provide other convenient ways of paying at times to suit you.

If you have any questions about using the swipe card, please feel free to contact us.


CCG accepts rent payment by debit card over the telephone. Call us on 0300 123 8084.

Recurring Card Payment

Unlike a Direct Debit, if a payment fails due to insufficient funds, you will not incur a charge. A recurring payment is the facility to take continuous payment from a debit or credit card, as an alternative to direct debit.

Once you have set up a recurring payment, your rent will be paid automatically on a pre-agreed date each month.

To set up a recurring payment, please contact the Rents Team on 0300 123 8084.

Internet Payments

If you want to pay your rent over the internet, please click here to login to your allpay account. You will need an Allpay card and debit card to do this. If you do not have an Allpay card, please contact us to arrange for one to be sent to you free of charge. Internet payments made via Allpay will usually be transferred to your rent account on the next working day.

Text Payments

To begin securely texting your rent payments, you just need a UK registered mobile phone, a CCG swipe card and a current debit card.

How to start making text payments:

Step 1: Register online to set up your card details – go to to do this. If you do not have internet access, you can do this at one of CCG’s area offices. You only have to register once, unless any of your details (e.g. your debit card) change.

Step 2: Once you have registered, each time you want to make a payment simply send a text to 81025 with the following details “Pay rent” and the amount you want to pay and then your text password which is the last four digits of your debit card number.

Step 3: You will then receive a text back confirming the payment.

Bank Standing Order

To pay your rent by using a bank Standing Order, please contact CCG and we can set it up on your behalf.

If you get any kind of state benefit, you will probably know that UK Government is making a number of changes to the system.

Changes to Bedroom Tax rules: April 2017

Following the Supreme Court's decision last year the DWP have now published the Regulations that will amend the rules from 1st April 2017.

The changes allow an extra bedroom for some couples who are unable to share a bedroom due to a disability, and for some non-household carers of a child or other person living with the claimant who stays overnight on a regular basis.

Size Criteria - Changes from April 2017

Following the Supreme Court's Judgement last year on a number of Bedroom Tax cases the Size Criteria Regulations have been amended, with effect from April 1st 2017.

So, what's changed?

Bedroom for non-household carer who stays overnight to look after a child or other person in the household

The Size Criteria rules changed on 1st April 2017 to allow a bedroom to be allocated to a carer where: 

  • A disabled dependent child or other disabled person living in the household requires, and receives, overnight care from a non-resident carer (or group of carers) on a regular basis, and
  • A spare bedroom is available for the carer (or team of carers) and an extra bedroom has not already been provided for a non-resident overnight carer (or team of carers) in the same household - i.e. for another disabled person, and
  • The disabled child or other disabled person must be in receipt of:
    • Middle or high rate care component of Disability Living Allowance, or
    • Daily living component Personal Independence Payment, or
    • Attendance Allowance, or
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is the name of the new monthly payment that will replace current benefits and tax credits. It is one payment, once a month, to your bank account. And it's all done online. So it is very important that you set up a bank account. As you will be getting the money directly it will be your responsibility to make sure your rent is paid. To find out the easiest way to do this, please click on the following link ‘pay your rent’.

You will also have to budget your bills and spending every month to make sure there is enough in the pot to cover essentials, click here to budget your money online.

If you have a poor credit history or have had trouble opening a bank account in the past; there are other alternatives. Please contact the rents team on 0300 123 8084 to discuss the alternatives available.

Under occupancy / Bedroom Tax

If you are living in a home which is bigger than you and your family need and you are under pensionable age, your housing benefit entitlement will be restricted. This is called the under occupancy charge (more commonly known as ‘the bedroom tax’). If you have one spare room you will lose 14% of your net income (£11) per week, or 25% of your income (£20) per week if you have two or more. If you cannot find a suitable place to move to, or you choose not to move, you will need to make up this shortfall in rent yourself. To find how much benefit you could lose, click on the following online calculator

There are some exemptions:

Date of Birth – If you were born before October 1951, you will not be affected

Severely disabled children will be allowed their own bedroom if they would seriously disrupt the sleep of another child if they were to share a bedroom

Foster carers are to be allocated an extra bedroom, even between placements

Adult children in the armed forces are to be deemed as living at home whilst away on operations

Bedroom size – Whilst there are rules around what constitutes a bedroom for over occupation rules, this does NOT apply to the under occupation charge.

If you are thinking of starting a family and want to stay in a larger home, you will have to pay the charge in the short term.

DOWNSIZING to avoid ‘bedroom tax’

Below are a couple of online services that may be able to help you find an alternative, more suitable property if you've been affected by the 'bedroom tax' and want to move to another home that better suit your needs.

HomeSwapper: The UK's largest service helping people who live in council or housing association properties swap homes. We are a registered partner with HomeSwapper so there is no registration fee for CCG tenants.

House Swap Wales: A free service helping tenants across Wales to swap homes using Facebook.

Home Swapper House Swap Wales

Benefits Cap

Benefits for non-working households have been capped. The most households can claim is £500 per week or £26,000 per year or £350 per week for a single claimant. Any income above this level will be reduced from your housing benefit meaning you may have to pay more towards your rent. You will be affected by the cap if you are claiming Universal Credit or one of the following benefits: Jobseekers' Allowance or Income Support or Employment Support Allowance, as well as the following:

  • Housing benefit
  • Child tax credits
  • Industrial injuries disablement benefit
  • Child benefit
  • Carers allowance
  • Contribution based employment and support allowance
  • Contribution based job seekers allowance
  • Maternity allowance
  • Widower’s allowance, widows parents allowance and widows pension
  • Bereavement allowance
  • Guardians allowance
  • Reduced employment allowance
  • Severe disablement allowance

Disability Living Allowance

Working age disability living allowance claims will now be based on medical assessment. They will become known as personal independence payments. The new system is focused on what people can do. The changes to PIP will affect those aged 16 to 65 – including those original given and ‘indefinite’ awards. Claimants will be invited to make a claim for PIP. If the PIP claim form is not completed your DLA claim will stop.

PIP will require regular reviews and rely far more on medical evidence and assessment, so it is important that claimants attend appointments regularly, report conditions to GPs, engage with any specialists, support agencies and health care professionals that you are referred to.

PIP will not have a low level rate, only a standard and enhanced rate – those with low level care needs will lose out.

Find out more

You can find out more about how these changes may affect you be calling the Rents Team on 0300 123 8084.

While our in house rent advisors are on hand to offer you help with your rent and benefis other independent agencies can also help.

Money, debt and benefits advice from others

Independent advice is also available from:

National Debt Line 0808 8084 000
Citizens Advice Bureau 03444 772 020
Shelter Cymru 0845 075 5005
Money Advice Service 0300 500 5000
Credit Union 0333 2000 601
Housing Benefit Gwynedd 01766 771 000
YBAC 0300 303 1073

Counting the pennies

At CCG we believe it is important that tenants can make the most of their money.

We are members of the North Wales Financial Inclusion Partnership which provides information and support to tenants on how to manage money.

Click below to download a copy of the Partnership’s handbook:

My Home - Making every penny count

Click below to download a copy of the Financial Inclusion Strategy:

Financial Inclusion Strategy

Many tenants wrongly believe that Cartrefi Cymunedol Gwynedd (CCG) insures their home contents – this is NOT the case.

If there is a fire or flood- CCG is not responsible for your paying to replace your personal belongings. However, having Home Contents Insurance will protect you and pay out in circumstances such as these.

Tenants must take out their own home contents insurance either by making their own arrangements or alternatively by taking out home contents insurance under a specific CCG scheme arranged by an approved company.

Paying for your insurance

The weekly premium can be paid by the same method and at the same time as you pay your rent. Home contents insurance can be as cheap as 74p per week and can be paid with your rent.

covered you must keep up-to-date with your payments. You will not be allowed to make a claim unless they are up-to-date.

Insurance starts once you have been accepted onto the scheme. The date will always be a Monday. If, for any reason, you have not been accepted, you will be informed in writing.

How to apply

Complete an application form. These are available by phoning CCG on 0300 123 8084. Or, visit us at one of our area offices.

If you need help to complete the form, please feel free to contact us. Send your form to:

Cartrefi Cymunedol Gwynedd
PO BOX 206
LL57 9DS
Cartrefi Cymunedol Gwynedd advises all tenants to take out Home Contents Insurance, either through our scheme or by making your own arrangements!

We think you should get credit for paying your rent on time

Ever been refused credit because you credit score isn’t good enough? Did you know that paying your rent on time doesn’t count towards your credit rating? We don’t think that’s fair.

That’s why we are supporting the ‘Rental Exchange’ project. The project is run by Experian – they’re the UK’s biggest credit reference agency, and we think that by teaming up with them we can help you get a better credit profile.

Why would you want a good credit score?

We think tenants who are paying rent should be able to use that to build up a good credit profile. If you were paying a mortgage it would count – but at the moment, your rent doesn’t.

A good credit score can be useful for things like:

  • Opening or changing bank accounts
  • Getting a better deal on your mobile phone contract
  • Getting better deals on your gas and electric
  • Preventing identity fraud

What happens next?

We will share your tenancy information with Experian, including rent history. The rental Exchange has been developed with advice from regulators and consumer groups and fully complies with all relevant laws, including the Data Protection Act. You can have peace of mind that your information will be kept secure and confidential.

You will receive a letter in the next few weeks which will provide more details. If you wish to opt-out contact us. Otherwise you don’t need to do anything.

What data will be shared?

We will be sharing the following data:

  • Your name, date of birth and address
  • Your tenancy reference number – your rent account number as shown on your rent statement
  • The tenancy start date and tenancy end date (if applicable)
  • The amount that of weekly rent due
  • The amount of rent in arrears

Only details of the tenant(s) named on the tenancy agreement will be shared.

Are you or Experian going to sell my data?

Your data will not be sold on for marketing purposes. The data will only be accessed by lenders and other organisations when you apply for goods or services where a credit or identity check is made through an organisation using Experian’s database.

Need more information?

We believe that the Rental Exchange has benefits for most of our tenants. If you’re not sure, or if you have any questions, or if you think you want to opt out then contact us on 0300 123 8084.

More information can be found on Experian’s website or in the information handbook below:

Rental Exchange Information Factsheet

Back to top